Re: Vehicle turns on by itself

From: Barry Oliver (barrysuperhawk@comcast.net)
Date: Wed Jan 07 2009 - 21:53:10 EST

Ted Wiegandt wrote:
> This is on my wife's 97 Grand Cherokee but I hope someone may have
> some insight since there seems to be a lot of overlap here.
>
> When the battery voltage gets low, the vehicle turns on by itself.
> The lights come on, the HVAC, the center console, everything is just
> like the key was in and it was turned on. I can put the key in and
> try to start it, but there isn't enough juice, when I remove the key
> everything will stay on. This is a wonderful feature that completely
> drains your already low battery. Once the battery gets a good charge
> everything is fine. It has done this twice in the last year. Any
> thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
> Ted

I don't have an answer for you [I'm sure Bernd will be along shortly
with the solution] but I think that sounds really cool. Is there any
possibility you have a malfunctioning remote start unit? A buddy of
mine just installed remote starts on both his and his wife's car, but he
never told her. Chirstmas Day, he hid something and talked his wife
into going to the store for him to get more. He hit the remote start as
she was walking to the car and scared the crap out of her. I guess she
forgave him, though.