Re: DML BBQ 2009?

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sat Jan 24 2009 - 00:03:51 EST

Terrible Tom <silvereightynine@aol.com> wrote:
> What I would rather do than vent all that heat outside is to pipe it back into the house to
> help heat it in the winter. I was actually thinking of relocating them all to the basement,
> build a filtered enclosure, with a duct to pipe the air into another part of the house.

   Yeah, it would be kinda cool to be able to use that heat. The only
catch there though is I'd like to keep the computers even lower than
normal room temp to help extend their life. If the heat is allowed to
build up to a point where it is usable, would the computers be getting
warmer than what might be desirable?

   One thought which would address both of those issues might be to
build an enclosure in the basement, stick a window A/C unit in the
wall, and run a duct from the back (hot side) of the A/C unit to the
part of the house you are wanting to heat. Course, I would guess
you're only trying to heat during the winter, and this would result in
running an A/C unit during a time when you've got free cold air
outside, so despite the heat capture, still might be a net loss due to
the electricity use required.

> Hmmm - summer project... heh

   :-) That's just what we need - more projects! ;-)

--
                                          -Jon-