Re: Exhaust size question

From: Matt Beazer (teseract@enchantedbookstore.com)
Date: Sun Jan 25 2009 - 20:57:11 EST

Mike Sykes wrote:

>>> This compared to the 3"
> mandrel bent kit with muffler from Gibson for $360... I think I'll make
> my own with the bigger pipe so I won't wish I "went bigger" later on,
> and save myself $135.<<
>
> I say, keep shopping. The Gibson kit, by comparison, is pricey. 3.5"
> will leave you at a loss of low end and you'll acutally be slower than
> if you went with a 3"... I learned this the hard way.
>
> - miggity

The only other one I've seen is the Dynomax kit - and it's only 2.75"
diameter.

Can I ask what your setup is? Headers, cam, anything like that, or
stock? I can see how it could be slower if you lose too much exhaust
velocity, but I'm also in a situation where I don't have to have a cat
slowing down the exhaust flow either. :)

Thanks,

MattB