Re: Exhaust size question

From: Mike Sykes (mikesykes@cox.net)
Date: Mon Jan 26 2009 - 10:44:45 EST

>>Can I ask what your setup is? Headers, cam, anything like that, or
stock? I can see how it could be slower if you lose too much exhaust
velocity, but I'm also in a situation where I don't have to have a cat
slowing down the exhaust flow either. :)<<

My current setup on my R/T is the True Dual setup from GSM. It's 2.5" with X
pipe and full length headers. Very nice, but leaky setup. Sounds really good
imho, but the National R/T club has differing opinions on GSM. This is
almost too much for my R/T, despite the mods. No cam or heads, but 1.7RR's,
M1, TB and PCM. Since there is forced induction in my future, I figured I'd
go with this exhaust. Also, it was full bolt-on and this was going to be a
driveway install, so it was good for me at the time. Where I learned about
too much exhaust was with my old 6er. I put a 3" exhaust on that truck and
it was a pig. I didn't know much about exhaust velocity at the time, so I
just took the monkey with the welder's recommendation and used the 3"
Blowmaster he had on the shelf. Performed horribly, sounded even worse. Once
I had the exhaust re-done, I picked up a full .5 in the quarter mile.

I just don't want you to make a costly mistake =) Even the 11sec R/T's
aren't going any bigger than 3" exhaust. There used to be a lot of kits out
there for under $300 from Flowmaster and Magnaflow, but honestly I haven't
shopped for much in a long time. I just say, keep poking around for a good
deal. The bulk of the cost of the kit is the convenience and the pipes...
mufflers can alway be swapped out if you don't like the sound. =)

-miggity