Re: 5 speed Manual questions

From: Matt Beazer (teseract@enchantedbookstore.com)
Date: Mon Jan 26 2009 - 21:18:51 EST

Gas mileage to me isn't as big of a concern. I have a '98 Neon that
gets ~30mpg city that I drive normally. The truck would be for winter
driving when it gets nasty and occasional hauling. That's why I was
looking at Seattle/Portland as I know they don't much need them, heh. I
just found a '92 4x4 V8 for $3595 obo semi-locally with only 83k on it,
but damn tax return hasn't come in yet. Sigh.

Dustin Williams wrote:
> I found my truck on AutoTrader in Kelso. Spokane is decently located
> to be able to look at everything thing from The I-5 corridor to Boise.
> Good luck finding a 5 speed. The auto does perform just fine, I've
> beat turbocharged Civics with out even knowing they were trying to
> race me. Also, I paid $3500 for mine in June 2006, prices probably
> haven't changed much, but I would wait until people forget about the
> winter we've had and gas prices go back up. People on this side of the
> mountains really don't like trucks, especially when gas is over $3.00
> a gallon.
>
> On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 5:37 PM, Matt Beazer
> <teseract@enchantedbookstore.com> wrote:
>
>> Friend of mine has the 4.7L with the 5 speed and it's definitely fun,
>> but they're so rare. He ordered it new from a dealership in Chicago.
>> They tried to talk him out of the 5 speed and had never even seen a
>> Dakota with a manual before. They were surprised how well it drove and
>> how smoothly it shifted. I guess people are still thinking of truck
>> manuals as being like the old 4 speed manuals with heavy clutches and
>> having to force them in to gear. I've seen a couple of V6 5 speeds
>> browsing Craigslist (which is why I asked), but I've yet to see a 318
>> with one...
>>
>> MattB
>>
>> Don Rey wrote:
>>
>>> I searched for several months before the donor truck I bought fell
>>> into my lap. I jumped on it literally the day I found the ad, drove to
>>> NH with cash a couple days later, and drove home with the truck. I got
>>> it because I was the first caller and the first to look at it. He said
>>> he had several other guys coming by to look at it later that day - I
>>> believe him, I got it for a steal at $1100.
>>>
>>> I had ebay searches, autotrader searches, etc etc, all e-mailing me
>>> when anything with several sets of keywords matched :)
>>>
>>> In my opinion, though, don't settle for an auto. The NV3500 is FUN!
>>>
>>> Let me know if you want more info about the swap.
>>>
>>> Don in CT
>>> 89 DakVert 318 NV3500 4x4
>>> 74 Dart Sport 340