Re: Cloggged heater core - ThroFlush to the rescue?

From: David Gersic (info@zaccaria-pinball.com)
Date: Tue Jan 27 2009 - 20:40:09 EST

On Tuesday 27 January 2009 04:01 pm, Tom Coulter wrote:
> So - what to do about the clogged heater core?

If the heater core is plugged, how do you get Miracle Liquid #9 here to
circulate through it? If liquids were able to pass through it, you wouldn't
be looking at this product.

> According to its manufacturer, this industrial strength product has been
> successfully used on diesels and heavy duty trucks.

Note that they don't say what it was used for, successfully or otherwise.
Maybe it makes a great windshield cleaner. Or cargo.

> The one-pint jar is
> actually a powder which is mixed on-site to the recommended specs (using
> very hot water).

Ok, so you have to mix it with water. That doesn't tell you anything about
what it's going to *do*. Just what you are going to do with it. Whee...

> You then isolate the heater core by cutting/disconnecting
> the feeder hoses and - with the heater turned ON - circulating the Thoro
> Flush solution in a back flush direction for about 10 minutes or so.

How are you going to get the water pump to run backwards?

> It's supposed to work miracles ...

I've got this great investment for you. There's this guy in New York, name of
Made-Off. You send him all your money, and in return, you get, well, screwed.

> This may be the only "solution" to this problem, short of the miserable
> task of removing the core from under the dash.
>
> Has anyone ever heard of/used Thoro Flush?

If it were that easy, nobody would do it the hard way. Snake Oil sells well,
but that doesn't mean that it works.