My poor Dakota is sick :( / And 5 speed Dakotas

From: Ewraven (ewraven@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Jan 30 2009 - 02:25:29 EST

I have a 1999 Dakota Sport 5.2 liter 4x4, 5 speed(yes factory original
HAHAHA), with the tow and off road packages.

Now I don't know if this has anything to do with the problem but I'll
post it anyway. I installed a new head unit a while back. I've
installed probably a dozen stereos over the years so I do know what I
am doing or so I thought.

The problem is that when I have the parking and/or headlamps on, if I
turn down the interior light dimmer, the 15 amp parking light fuse
blows. This problem has existed since I installed the stereo, I
hadn't noticed it before then.

So far, to troubleshoot the problem, I've pulled out the new stereo
completely, my end of the wiring harness and all. The problem was
still there even with the stereo out.

I ordered a new headlamp/dimmer switch and installed it, the problem
still existed even with a new headlamp/dimmer switch installed.

I'm thinking that I screwed up when I installed the stereo, I didn't
unhook the battery when I did it.

Funny thing though, a few days after I installed there stereo, I went
out to start the truck and it was dead. The idiot lights on the gauge
cluster were just barely lit and when I tried to roll the power window
down, a funny clicking sound started that was coming from the
passenger side of the dash that never stopped until I turned the key
off.. I'm fairly positive now that the clicking sound was from the
Interior Timer Module.

When this happened, I was able to fix it by unplugging the battery for
ten minutes and resetting the ECU. The truck has done fine ever since
except for this silly problem with the dimmer switch and the parking
lamp fuse blowing.

My own guess is that I broke the interior timer module when I
installed the stereo. That module is a 280 dollar part from Dodge;
so, I am hoping someone has seen this before or has a better guess?

Thanks for any help
Josh

About the truck and to continue on about the discussion of 5 speeds.
I was LUCKY that I found this truck, I just happened upon it in the
newspaper one day where it was listed at a Honda Dealer with 72,000
miles on it. It has 144,000 miles on it now and runs great. It got a
new clutch at 125,000 miles. The plenum gasket was blown OUT in four
places when I got it. I replaced the intake manifold with a Hughes
Engines stage 1 modified stock manifold. I've got a 50mm shaved and
ported Ebay throttle body on it. I also use an "S" screw in place of
the factory air hat hold down. I used to run an open element air
cleaner on it but the factory intake is more livable on a day to day
basis. The open element air cleaner was very very loud.

Anyway, the NV3500 is a great transmission. Aside form the longer
shifter, one wouldn't know that it is a truck transmission. I'd be
careful about putting too much Torque through it though. If I
remember correctly, it is "only" capable of handling 350 lb-ft of
torque. However, there was a heavy duty version called the NV3500HD,
I don't know what it could handle or if it even was available in the
Dakota.