Re: out of my element - 1991 no start

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Mon Mar 02 2009 - 09:40:21 EST

Andy Levy <andy.levy@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 01:17, Barry Oliver <barrysuperhawk@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> Ok, help me out here, what am I looking for?  [I always ignored the GenI/II
>> threads before - Except Christine of-course..]

> He might be referring to this:
> http://faq.dakota-truck.net/Electronics/gen2_stalling.html

   Yep. I don't know if that will be relevant in this case though. I
don't *think* the premag trucks used a PDC (the underhood fusebox
referred to in the FAQ). It might still be the same problem, but
somewhere else in the wiring harness.

   Someone else mentioned the ASD (auto shutdown relay) and that is a
good thing to check as well, but I believe this relay is usually in
the PDC, and if the premag trucks don't have a PDC, I'm not sure where
it would be, or if they even have one. (In the under-dash fuse box
maybe?) (When I get a chance to get out to the shop and grab my '91
FSM I will have a look.)

   Barry, the first thing that crossed my mind was the battery. Are
you absolutely sure it is OK? Did you do a load test and/or use
another vehicle to try a jump start? (Or use the "engine start"
amperage of a battery charger?) I had a similar problem in my '70
Dart where there was a good connection between the battery and the
battery connector, but there was a poor connection between the battery
connector and the battery cable itself. If the truck still has the
factory style battery cables where the connector is molded onto the
cable, that *probably* isn't the problem, but with the aftermarket type
which clamps onto the cable, this can happen. If the battery checks
out OK, trace the negative battery cable to make sure it has a good,
solid ground connection, and it probably wouldn't hurt to trace the
positive cable to wherever it goes and check the voltage at that point
just to make sure it is getting through the cable. (Keep in mind that
checking the voltage can be a bit deceptive; if there is no voltage,
then this obviously indicates a problem, but even if you see full
battery voltage there, this doesn't completely clear the cable or
connectors of all doubt - if just one or two of the strands are still
intact, you may read the proper voltage, but the wire won't have the
amperage for something like an engine start. However, this may work
in your case, since you mention that there is absolutely no sign of
life.)

   What about items that don't require the ignition to be on to
function, for example the brake lights, dome light, headlights, etc.
Do they seem to be getting any power at all?

--
                                          -Jon-