Re: out of my element - 1991 no start

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Mon Mar 02 2009 - 14:25:22 EST

jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:
> Someone else mentioned the ASD (auto shutdown relay) and that is a
> good thing to check as well, but I believe this relay is usually in
> the PDC, and if the premag trucks don't have a PDC, I'm not sure where
> it would be, or if they even have one. (In the under-dash fuse box
> maybe?) (When I get a chance to get out to the shop and grab my '91
> FSM I will have a look.)

   Sorry, I forgot that my FSM is for '90, but I don't think much
changed to '91 so this should still be relevant.

   The truck does indeed have an ASD relay. There is no PDC or relay
center, so you will find this relay bolted directly to the driver's
side fender, just to the rear of the washer fluid reservoir. The V6
should have 2 relays there, one is the ASD and the other is the A/C
clutch relay. If your truck doesn't have A/C, then it will only have
the ASD there. (A radiator fan relay is mounted there as well, but
only on the 4cyl trucks.) Anyway, I'd double check that relay; swap
out a spare and/or put a meter on the socket to make sure its getting
power on the proper pins. Another way to test it would be to simulate
the relay by jumpering the pins; if it works with the jumper but not
the relay, then the relay is probably bad.

   It looks as though there is a fusible link on the positive battery
cable, so that's another possibility to investigate.

   I'd still make absolutely sure about the condition of the battery
first though, and if its OK, follow the power out the positive lead
until you find the spot where its dead.

   FYI, the fuses are all in the box in the driver's side footwell,
though there doesn't seem to be anything there that would cause the
problem you're describing.

--
                                          -Jon-