Re: RE: vibration on the highway

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Tue Mar 03 2009 - 00:59:57 EST

On Feb 17, 2009, at 7:48 PM, Ted Wiegandt wrote:

> Thanks Bernd.
>
> I checked the u-joints and could not detect any play in them. There
> was also no binding or noises when I rotated the tires.
>
> Is there a easy way to check the pinion bearings?

An old question I know, but a visual on the joints doesn't do the
trick. Set the brake and put the truck in N, a joint with tension on
it from the transmission will feel tight. check for lateral play in
both axis of both joints. if the pinion bearings are going, look for
axial play of the pinion yoke on the rear end. More than probably
about .003 and you have problems back there. I don't know the spec
off the top of my head.

Mike, who apparently didn't get his pinion bearings fully seated when
he did his 5.38s, and hopes didn't ruin his gears by the time he
caught at least .010 slop in the pinion of his swapped-in 10.25" Ford
rearend.