RE: was 4.7L Cams, now engineers!

From: Ray Block (BPracing@wowway.com)
Date: Tue Mar 10 2009 - 18:38:54 EDT

Couldn't agree more, Jon. My experience with company engineers indicates
they feel the need to reinvent the wheel frequently to preserve their jobs.

First case was at a company I worked for. I came up with a solution to a
problem by making a tool from readily available cheap azz parts that were
laying around for other uses. I submitted a suggestion but it had to be
approved by engineering before I would be rewarded. The engineer, while
intrigued by my solution, felt he could do better. Every week for a month
or so he came by with a new tool he had built by our tool & die department.
None of them worked as well as my simple solution. Eventually he gave up
and I got my suggestion reward. It was still being used 25 years later!

Next case was my '86 Laser. For those who might not know, the Daytona and
Laser platform was subsequently used for Sundances and Shadows. My
daughter bought an '87 Sundance and my girlfriend (at that time) bought a
'92 Shadow. I couldn't believe the number of things engineering had
changed in the engine compartment after '86. Several things were moved to
different locations and even the size and shape of the windshield washer
bottle or overflow bottle were changed. Why? I drove my Laser for 14
years and 143,000 miles, then sold it to a friend who ran it up to 200K
before selling it to another friend. It performed perfectly all those
years. So, why change simple things on newer models? I can only guess
the engineers needed to do SOMETHING to justify their jobs! :-)

Ray