Re: New Venture Gear

From: David Gersic (info@zaccaria-pinball.com)
Date: Mon Mar 30 2009 - 11:09:09 EDT

On Monday 30 March 2009 08:01 am, Azie L. Magnusson wrote:
> I retired from Chryslers Electronics plant in Huntsville, Al.
> The NV4500 that is used in both GM and Dodge trucks are
> basically the same BUT the input shafts are different in all
> cases, and the gearing and output shafts are different in some
> cases.

Yeah, further reading of rsgear.com's tech articles yesterday said that the
NV233 is basically the same unit, as far as a rebuilder is concerned, but
that there's like 25 variations of it for input and output shafts to fit
different trucks. And even being electronically controlled, there are several
variations of the control motor.

> Have to be really be careful when 'junkyarding' for one
> of these.

Yep, they made the same point. Make sure not only that it's an NV233, but that
it's the right NV233 before attempting to swap it or order parts for
rebuilding it.

Fortunately, I'm pretty sure my transfer case is ok. I have an electrical
problem (Re: Weird electrical problems). A further symptom of this is that my
4WD is dead. But in looking for info on how the NV233 works, I was finding it
on a bunch of Chevy and Blazer references. It seemed oddly coincidental that
Chevy and Chrysler would use transfer cases with the same model number.