Re: New Venture Gear

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Mon Mar 30 2009 - 13:23:47 EDT

David Gersic <info@zaccaria-pinball.com> wrote:
> On Monday 30 March 2009 08:01 am, Azie L. Magnusson wrote:
>> Have to be really be careful when 'junkyarding' for one
>> of these.

> Yep, they made the same point. Make sure not only that it's an NV233, but that
> it's the right NV233 before attempting to swap it or order parts for
> rebuilding it.

   That is definitely an annoying thing about some OEM parts,
transmissions and transfer cases in particular. At some point, the
part number becomes basically meaningless. IMHO, they should be using a
dash number or something to document the entire innards. For example,
NV233-01, NV233-02, NV233-03 and so on, for as many iterations as it
takes to be able to document exactly what it is. There would be a
publicly accessible chart such that if you look up NV233-05, it would
not only tell you that it is an NV233, but what the input and output
shaft spline count is, the reduction ratio, electrics, etc. That
would sure be a whole lot more useful than having to play Junkyard
Sherlock Holmes!

   It will probably never happen though because the manufacturers are
geared towards selling to the OEMs and thus probably design to spec
rather than worry about service and retrofitting. There may be some
sort of internal database or some other method of keeping track of
these things, but I'm guessing its not available to the general
public.

--
                                          -Jon-