Re: New Venture Gear

From: David Gersic (info@zaccaria-pinball.com)
Date: Mon Mar 30 2009 - 15:17:23 EDT

On Monday 30 March 2009 11:23 am, jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:
> David Gersic <info@zaccaria-pinball.com> wrote:
> > On Monday 30 March 2009 08:01 am, Azie L. Magnusson wrote:
> >> Have to be really be careful when 'junkyarding' for one
> >> of these.
> >
> > Yep, they made the same point. Make sure not only that it's an NV233, but
> > that it's the right NV233 before attempting to swap it or order parts for
> > rebuilding it.
>
> That is definitely an annoying thing about some OEM parts,
> transmissions and transfer cases in particular.

And, as the rsgear (Richmond Standard Gear) guys are in the business of
selling replacement parts for these, it seems they have a strongly vested
interest in discovering the variations, and getting the shops that call them
for parts to tell them what they really need to know.

Calling up and ordering "gears for an NV233" isn't going to get very far. One
of his tech articles basically says that before you call to order parts,
you'd best disassemble the unit you're working on, measure each part, write
down every part number you can find, and count the teeth on each and every
gear and write that down too. Because otherwise you're just wasting his and
your time, since he won't know what to sell you and you won't know what you
need to buy.

I enjoyed reading a bunch of his stuff.

> At some point, the
> part number becomes basically meaningless. IMHO, they should be using a
> dash number or something to document the entire innards.

I agree, but it seems unlikely to happen. And, at the junkyard level, isn't
that the point of the Hollander interchange list?

> It will probably never happen though because the manufacturers are
> geared towards selling to the OEMs and thus probably design to spec
> rather than worry about service and retrofitting.

I used to believe that at least if I went to the dealer parts counter, told
them what part I needed ("NV233 transfer case") and for what ("2001 Dakota,
V6, manual trans"), that I'd have at least some hope of getting the right
part. Given my experience with just trying to get O2 sensors, I no longer
think this is likely.

> There may be some
> sort of internal database or some other method of keeping track of
> these things, but I'm guessing its not available to the general
> public.

For straight service replacement, it should exist. I don't know if it does.
For retrofit and other modifications, though, you're pretty much on your own
to figure it out.