RE: Is my LSD broke?

From: knox.james@sympatico.ca
Date: Mon Mar 30 2009 - 20:18:52 EDT

> From: info@zaccaria-pinball.com
> To: dakota-truck@dakota-truck.net
> Subject: DML: Is my LSD broke?
> Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 13:29:57 -0600
>

> I got stuck in the snow yesterday. One problem was that the 4WD is dead, but
> I'm pretty sure that that's an electrical issue. But the LSD isn't
> electrical.
>
> What we got, starting Saturday afternoon was rain, changing over to sleet and
> freezing rain, changing over to snow overnight. By Sunday morning, what was
> on the ground was about 1" of watery slush topped with 6-7" of snow. The air
> temp was just below freezing, so the snow was the heavy wet stuff.
>
> I backed out of the driveway ok and swung around to about a 45 degree angle.
> Put the truck in 1st, and stuck there. If I gave it any gas, one wheel or the
> other would spin, and the whole truck would slide sideways down the road
> crown toward the curb, but no forward motion at all. I could even spin one
> wheel by just putting it in 1st gear (manual trans) and letting in the
> clutch.
>
> With an LSD (confirmed both by the "Trac Loc" sticker on the rear axel, and
> the "spin the wheels by hand" test, shouldn't I have been getting power to
> the non-turning wheel, rather than just spinning the one that's slipping?
>
> Is there a minimum torque that the spinning wheel has to have applied to get
> the clutches to engage on the other (non-spinning) wheel?
>
> This stuff was slippery enough that I could push the rear end of the truck
> sideways by myself. I did this to get it closer to straight, shoveled out the
> rear wheels, and got about 5' further down the street before sliding sideways
> to the curb again. It took four attempts like this just to get moving forward
> with any momentum.

Hi David. The Multi Purpose Diff oil may be old and suffering chemical breakdown, it should have 4 oz of Mopar Hypoid Gear Lubricant Additive friction modifier in it originally. Take the truck to an open space and slowly drive it through 10 - 12 figure 8's. Check LSD operation now that clutches are lubricated. Lay rubber two marks is good :-) I'd do a diff oil change + additive before tearing it apart. I've experienced this with my 91 Dak.

Jim Knox, 91 Dak sport, 318LA 4x4