Re: Is my LSD broke?

From: David Gersic (info@zaccaria-pinball.com)
Date: Mon Mar 30 2009 - 20:46:03 EDT

On Monday 30 March 2009 06:18 pm, knox.james@sympatico.ca wrote:
> Hi David. The Multi Purpose Diff oil may be old and suffering chemical
> breakdown, it should have 4 oz of Mopar Hypoid Gear Lubricant Additive
> friction modifier in it originally.

In March 2007 I drained and re-filled the diffs with 80-90 Mopar oil, and the
rear got a bottle of friction modifier. I sent a sample of the original oil I
drained out to Blackstone, and their analysis found the nickel content to be
a little high, and the viscosity a little low, but otherwise nothing to be
concerned with.

So I'm pretty sure it's not oil related.

After some time going over the FSM, and some pictures I took when doing the
diff fluid change, I think I can see one of the clutch retainers in this
picture:

http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com/temp/diff.jpg

I don't have any that show the other side of the diff, though. When I took
that shot, I was more interested in the imperfection you can see in the tooth
of the side gear.

> Lay rubber two marks is good :-)

The less formal test. ;-)

> I'd do a diff
> oil change + additive before tearing it apart. I've experienced this with
> my 91 Dak.

Thanks, Jim. Agreed, oil + additive is cheaper and easier than a full
disassembly. After I get a chance to check it with the torque wrench, and
maybe some informal testing, I'll see where to go next from there.