Re: RE: Is my LSD broke?

From: David Gersic (info@zaccaria-pinball.com)
Date: Sun Apr 05 2009 - 10:50:24 EDT

On Tuesday 31 March 2009 12:02 am, Eric wrote:
> You could try a quicker test and leave the wheel on and put a torque
> wrench on one of the lug nuts. Keep the wrench at a 90 degree
> angle from the center-to-lugnut radius.

Ok, so the quick test here with the torque wrench says that the LSD is good. I
checked both sides, and the clutches break loose around 80 - 90 ft. lbs. on
both sides. That's not a perfect measurement, since the lugnuts are offset
from the centre of the axel, but it's close enough that I'm pretty sure that
they're beyond the minimum of 30 ft. lbs..

Still, it's bugging me that I had one wheel spinning freely with no torque at
all transfered to the non-spinning wheel. Maybe tapping the brakes would have
helped encourage the clutches to lock up and start doing their job. The FSM
does note that with an extreme difference in traction available to the wheels
that it's possible for one wheel to spin. I guess in this case, since neither
wheel had any traction, there wasn't enough traction available to get the
clutches to engage.