Re: Finally bought a Dakota...

From: Matt Beazer (teseract@moparhowto.com)
Date: Tue Apr 07 2009 - 02:24:46 EDT

Don Rey wrote:
> Flat spots on the tires, huh? Sounds like you'll just have to loosen
> them up a bit. ;-)

It doesn't take much to chirp the tires, though if it was more willing
to kick down to first gear it'd be easier. I need to figure out how to
adjust it so it's more willing, right now if you mash the pedal as hard
as you can you MIGHT get a kickdown to first.

> I'd like to know where your dad found a 90 Dak CC Longbed! (there were
> only 2 different wheelbase lengths)

I thought it was weird. All I can say is that it's a 2WD 3.9L V6, and
the turning radius is really really awful. I've driven it a few times,
and to back out of the parking spaces at my house, you have to back out
until the truck is 90 degrees from it's original parking space without
hitting the (chain link) fence to get out the driveway. I found it
easiest to back up really slowly until you felt it tap the fence, then
you could get it out the driveway. ;) It's definitely got the
older-style front end though.

> One quick thing to check regarding that oil leak - feel around the oil
> pressure sensor. I had one start to leak... then it started to gush...
> and before I realized the actual problem I thought I blew a rear main
> seal. I was happy to find out it was the $20 switch instead. Leaky
> valve cover gaskets are not uncommon either though.

Yeah, it's not out the back at all, it's just a slight greasey wetness
over the spark plug area. I keep getting a whiff of antifreeze, though,
though the overflow bottle doesn't seem to have gone down an appreciable
amount in the ~50 miles I've driven it.

> That toggle switch could have been for an old alarm system. Maybe.
> Follow the wires.

I see the existing wiring as a fish tape for decent wiring for a set of
decent driving lights, instead of the crap that's on it now. One wire
is snipped off where it came out of a firewall grommet, I suspect you're
right about the alarm system.

> Oh and I think 95s only had RWAL brakes, correct? (That was a
> different thread, I know, but related.) My frankendak doesn't have
> antilock brakes... RWAL is a huge improvement over non-antilock brakes
> in a pickup whereas 4-wheel antilock brakes is a much lesser
> improvement over RWAL. RWAL keeps your tail behind you :) DAMHIK

I think 4 wheel was available. I'm glad to have at least that as this
vehicle will be my winter driver. We had horrible cold weather with
snow into April, then the day after I bought the truck the temps went
from 42 and rainy during the day and 26 and snowing at night to 68 and
sunny and lows in the 40's. I KNEW that would happen as soon as I
bought it!

MattB