Re: Dome light question

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Wed Apr 15 2009 - 15:27:42 EDT

Matt Beazer <teseract@moparhowto.com> wrote:
> The switches on both sides move freely in and out, pushing in 5-6mm
> until hitting the stop, then coming fully out again with no
> "grainyness", just smooth action. I'm gonna have to dig through the
> wiring diagrams from the sound of it, though I'll hose 'em out with WD40
> in case the internal contacts are corroded as someone suggested. Just
> as well, the dome light is so far back in the cab as to be almost
> useless to front seat passengers. Maybe I can wire up something
> supplemental to the factory dome light once I figure out the initial
> problem.

   Might be something other then the switches then, if they look and
feel OK. Especially since neither switch will activate the light. I
don't know how it is wired, it may be both switches come to a common
point, perhaps that splice is corroded or something. The switches
provide a ground path for the light. If you can access the wire
behind the switch (or pull the switch out to get to it) and connect
that wire to a known good ground, that would confirm/eliminate the
switches as the culprit.

   BTW, if you do hose them out, you're probably better off using
something like electrical contact cleaner. WD-40 will probably blast
crud out and will lubricate (for a while) but it will also trap
dirt/grime and can end up making the problem worse over time.

--
                                          -Jon-