Re: Convertible dak mirror

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Thu Apr 16 2009 - 19:28:48 EDT

Don Rey <radon220@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 1:23 PM, <jon@dakota-truck.net> wrote:
>>
>> (Changed subject so as to not hijack the original thread)

> Thanks, I was going to do that but I hit 'Send' too quickly. Certainly
> don't want to advocate a hijacking in light of recent events! (Hat tip
> to the SEALS)

  Heh! For sure. :-) There's definitely an opportunity there though
- if someone had the wherewithal to pick up a few cigarette boats and
some surplus machine guns to mount on 'em, you could make some major
coin doing tanker escort work! You might have to buy some sort of
"mothership" to act as a base for the gunships since you couldn't
(legally) go into most ports to refuel with 'em, but I think it would
be a great moneymaker, and I should think it would actually be a
pretty low risk job when you consider the penny ante pirates that are
operating in the area. As far as staffing goes, I would guess there
are a good number of ex SEALS or special forces guys from the other
branches who wouldn't mind using their training to pull in some extra
coin to suppliment their pension. Even if you just had a few of those
guys in supervisory/training roles, it shouldn't take very long to
build up a competent force.

  I'd be surprised if somebody isn't doing this already, actually.

  Hmmm, I appear to have digressed. From map lights to PMCs; only on
the DML! :-)

>>   I just checked my '90 FSM, and it refers to it as a "rear view
>> mirror with reading lamps" and also as a "lighted rear view mirror".
>> I also do not see anything in my convertible suppliment referencing
>> the mirror light, so, maybe it wasn't a special 'vert thing after all,
>> just a feature that could be ordered on any Dak.  (I suppose its also
>> possible that this option wasn't available in 1989 - my FSM is for
>> 1990)  If you do have the wiring (if its not up above the windshield)
>> the connector for the mirror is a 3 conductor plug located in the left
>> side cowl.  There's that plug at the left side of the cowl, and then
>> another right at the mirror itself.

> I'll have to look for that connector. The '89 wiring has been torn
> out... but I bet I'd find it in the 94 wiring. I'll look in my FSM
> too, next time I'm in it.

   Could be - might not be there on the '94 though. When I purchased
my '96 I loaded it up except for the radio and the ABS, but I don't
have lights under the mirror - they went to an overhead console at
some point. I'm not 100% sure about this, but I should think that the
mirror map lights probably died out at the same time that the overhead
console came into being.

   Of course, even if you don't have the plug, if you find a mirror,
it'd be pretty simple to splice it in.

>> Would be glad to show you at a BBQ or something sometime, (or I can
>> take pics and e-mail) if you are interested.

> I'll take you up on that at the next BBQ I get to. It might not be
> this year... I still have to decide on and execute a plan to fix my
> cooling problems.

   Sounds good. :-) (Well, not the part where you might not make
it this year!) :-(

> I'm surprised we haven't put our 'verts together for a little photo
> shoot or something. In fact, I don't think I've seen any more than the
> outside of yours.

  That's true. Well, didn't we have them parked next to each other
one year when we went out to the Friday night car show? I guess
that's about as far as we got. :-)

> [Digressing further,] it's funny to hear people try
> telling me how many convertibles were made... I don't know where their
> numbers come from. My GF ran into someone yesterday who recognized my
> truck. The desktop picture on her laptop shows my truck at the 08 BBQ.
> He tells her "I've seen that truck! I've wanted to buy it for years!"
> Then he starts telling her how they only made 10 of them blah blah
> blah. She wasn't familiar enough with them to set him straight, but
> she did tell him it wasn't for sale :-D

   :-)

   Yeah, people say funny things. On the one hand, if they actually
did make 10, we'd have a fifth of the market cornered and could
probably retire some day by selling them, but on the other hand, if so
few were made, I probably wouldn't have been able to buy one in the
first place. :-)

   In case you are interested, here is a copy of a letter direct from
a Chrysler exec with the production numbers:

http://www.geocities.com/ryankane/Chrycoletter.JPG

   I've saved it to my hard drive in case that site ever goes down.
Unfortunately, it doesn't list the 1991 numbers, maybe because it
was not officially available in 1991, but from what I have heard,
about 8 were made to fill out the ASC contract. At least one of them
that I know of was a V8, though of course since it was '91, it is a
premagger, but still, that's got to be a mighty rare truck. I have no
idea how the rest of the '91s were equipped, but have heard it is
pretty random.

   About 30 years from now we'll probably have people putting GenII
front clips on '89 verts and trying to get Hemicuda prices for 'em.
;-)

--
                                          -Jon-