OT; Motorcycle Turnsignals/Brake lights.

From: Terrible Tom (silvereightynine@aol.com)
Date: Thu Apr 23 2009 - 23:57:40 EDT

I'm working on my 75 Honda CL360 again.. and part of my to-do's involves lighting upgrades.
I've finally located a headlight upgrade option to replace the old dim sealed beam with an H4 -
and I'm looking at turn signal options. I'm considering using a set of newer honda signals
with clear lenses... and using red LED clusters. What I would like to do is figure out a way
to get the turn signals to act as brake lights as well.

Stopping: Center brake light on - two turn signals (red) on steady as additional brake lights.

Wen turning left, apply brake, center brake light on, right turn signal on steady - left turn
signal flashes. Same kind of deal when turning right.

See where I'm going with this? Its the same principal as the Dakotas stop lights/turn signals.
What in the circuit causes them to flash when the turn signal switch is on with the brake
applied? Somewhere something overrides or ignores the brake light signal - and allows the lamp
to flash?

Is that done in the turn signal switch? I dont think the old 552 flasher units can do anything
other than flash. FYI I already have an electromechanical turn signal flasher (same form
factor as the old 552 units) in the motorcycle - because the old factory flasher was shot. It
will work with LEDs - I tested by removing a turn signal bulb - and it flashed normally... its
not a load dependant flasher.

Any ideas as to how I can pull this off?

"Man is the only kind of varmint [who] sets his own trap, baits it, then steps in it"
-John Steinbeck