Re: Bad Waterpump

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Tue May 05 2009 - 01:45:17 EDT

Matt Beazer <teseract@moparhowto.com> wrote:
> Well, looks like my instincts were right. I changed the water pump,
> thermostat, lower radiator hose, and bypass hose on my '95 Dakota. I
> thought 1/2 on the temp gauge was normal, with it dropping slightly
> while in motion. Now it runs at 1/4 of the gauge. I thought it was
> running too cold until I plugged in my friend's Auto X-ray scanner and
> read the temp while at idle at the 1/4 gauge position, and it was at 181
> degrees. I have no idea how hot 1/2 the gauge was, but I bet it's the
> reason the truck felt a lot faster when it was cold. :)

   The needle at halfway is probably around 200 degrees. My '96 used
to run just to the left of midway with the stock thermostat. Did you
install a 180/185 degree t-stat?

   Here's a pic of where my '96 318 Dak sits with its 180 degree
t-stat as compared to the stock 195 tstat:

http://www.dakota-truck.net/UPGRADES/TSTAT/16.gif

--
                                          -Jon-