Fw: Leaking power steering fluid

From: Tom Coulter (metalshop@optonline.net)
Date: Sat May 16 2009 - 11:15:22 EDT

I appreciate the thoughtful responses from Brian ('99 & '00 models) and from
"Clhyer" ('99 model).

Since I left my inquiry yesterday, I now know that the leak is caused by a
suspicious "pin prick" hole in the pressurized line about 2" from the lower
fitting (steering knuckle side). When the front wheels are steered, a tiny
geyser appears.

Recall that this line is covered by a slit, corrugated plastic sheath for
protection. What are the chances that this hole was caused by "natural"
(i.e., not nefarious) causes?

My gut tells me that it may be nefarious (recall that a few months ago, I
suffered a punctured bas line near the tank, and this was definitely
retribution/vandalism). However, based on the reply by Brian, it may have
been a "normal" hose failure. Who knew?

The good news is that AutoZone has a new hose ("Duralast" brand) - lifetime
warranty - for $17.99.