RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: O2 Sensors - reprise

From: Brian (hskr@cox.net)
Date: Sun May 24 2009 - 22:11:58 EDT

If you look at the PCM connector when you pull it off, there are a few pins
that are longer than other pins. These are the grounds so as not to cause
any voltage spikes if you pull the connector without unhooking the battery.
I know several people, myself included, who only unhook the battery if they
are working on something such as the alternator or started which have hot
leads straight from the battery connected to them. I've been resetting my
PCM the same way going on 8 years now without a single problem. But if you
want to break out the 10mm wrench, loosen the batter terminal, wiggle the
terminal off the post, go climb in the seat to turn the key(pointless BTW),
then go back out, wiggle the terminal back on the post, and tighten the
terminal back up more power to ya. And after a while, you start to wear out
either the terminal or the post and then you can't get it as tight anymore
possibly causing a bad ground connection. Just offering a quicker method to
most who don't have quick disconnects already installed. Also, with most
aftermarket head units, you lose your presets on the radio y unhooking the
battery and you won't by pulling the PCM connector. Just something else to
keep in mind when choosing your method. I know I hate having to go back
through and re-program my radio stations and reseting my treble/bass options
on my head unit after unhooking the battery.

brian cropp