RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: O2 Sensors - reprise

From: Brian (hskr@cox.net)
Date: Mon May 25 2009 - 00:03:20 EDT

brian cropp

"Brian" <hskr@cox.net> wrote:
> If you look at the PCM connector when you pull it off, there are a few
pins
> that are longer than other pins. These are the grounds so as not to cause
> any voltage spikes if you pull the connector without unhooking the
battery.

> Hmmm, not on mine - the pins on my PCM are all the same length.
>Also, I don't have any pins on my conector, the pins are all on the
>PCM itself, my Dak's PCM connectors are female.

I may have confused the pins side since I'm not looking at my truck, but
either way a few of the pins are longer on my '00 and they alsso were on my
'99. Have to remember, I'm a GenIII guy. Never owned anything older than
'99.

[...]
> go climb in the seat to turn the key(pointless BTW),

> Turning the key to start is supposed to allow the starter to draw
>down any energy which may still be stored, such as in capacitors and
>the like. If there is any stored energy, it may take some time for
>the voltage to drop down below the point where the volitile memory in
>the PCM gets erased, in which case disconnecting the battery and then
>reconnecting right away might not do the trick. Turning the key to
>start is a shortcut to bypass the waiting period to allow the voltage
>to drop sufficiently. (This may not be necessary on some vehicles but
>its a quick and easy way to make sure, and doesn't hurt anything except
>to waste maybe 5 seconds in the cases where it may not be technically
>necessary.)

For that matter you could just as easily flip the headlight switch, or the
underhood light(if still connected) would drain any possible stored voltage.

> then go back out, wiggle the terminal back on the post, and tighten the
> terminal back up more power to ya. And after a while, you start to wear
out
> either the terminal or the post and then you can't get it as tight anymore
> possibly causing a bad ground connection. Just offering a quicker method
> most who don't have quick disconnects already installed.

> Noted. Just thought I should mention that Chrysler does not
>recommend unplugging the PCM connectors without first disconnecting
>the battery. If someone is going to be doing a lot of work on their
>vehicle which will require disconnecting the battery terminal, a
>battery disconnect is a cheap and easy time saver.

Chrysler doesn't recommend a lot of stuff people do to their vehicles.
Doesn't mean it's not a valid way to do something. If everyone listened to
Chrysler's recommendations, then we'd all still be driving bone stock
vehicles, running paper air filters, and using Champion spark plugs.

--
                                          -Jon-