Re: Tranny fluid capacity

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Mon Jun 01 2009 - 10:00:54 EDT

Tom Coulter <metalshop@optonline.net> wrote:

> '97 Dakota Sport | 2WD | 3.9L V6

> Does anyone know what the transmission fluid capacity is for this make?
> I was surprised that the "Owner's Manual" was silent on this spec. (Maybe I
> shouldn't have been surprised ...)

   I believe that would have a 42RE transmission, in which case it
should take 4 quarts when doing a standard refill and filter change.
I think the total capacity is somwhere in the neighborhood of 8.5
quarts, but the pan only holds 4 - the rest is in the torque
converter, tranny cooler and all the little nooks and crannies inside
the trans.

--
                                          -Jon-