Re: Taurus Fan Update

From: Phillip Batson (pbatson68@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jun 05 2009 - 10:32:22 EDT

Awesome! Keep the updates coming!!

----- Original Message ----
From: Matt Beazer <teseract@moparhowto.com>
To: dakota-truck@dakota-truck.net
Sent: Friday, June 5, 2009 4:30:47 AM
Subject: DML: Taurus Fan Update

Finally got the fan today, so I took some pics with a tape measure. The one I'm most concerned about is this:

http://www.moparhowto.com/pictures/1995-Dakota/radfan/fan_depth.jpg

Looks to be 4.75" max depth, with my wife holding the tape measure a bit crooked. Note that the shroud can't be trimmed for less depth, I put a straightedge over the hub, there's only 1/8-1/4" clearance before the hub would be rubbing the radiator if trimmed.

Then we have:

Height: http://www.moparhowto.com/pictures/1995-Dakota/radfan/fan_height.jpg
Width: http://www.moparhowto.com/pictures/1995-Dakota/radfan/fan_width.jpg
Back: http://www.moparhowto.com/pictures/1995-Dakota/radfan/fanback.jpg
Front: http://www.moparhowto.com/pictures/1995-Dakota/radfan/fanfront.jpg

This thing definitely pulls some power considering how thick the wires are:

http://www.moparhowto.com/pictures/1995-Dakota/radfan/fan_wirethickness.jpg

Apparently they didn't want another fan broken as they shipped it in a huge box:

http://www.moparhowto.com/pictures/1995-Dakota/radfan/fan_box.jpg

The white box is about the same dimensions of the fan... sheesh. And Fedex STILL managed to snap off a tab (that I'd have to trim anyhow).

I'm ordering some 8 gauge wire, a 75amp relay, and an 80 amp automotive circuit breaker tomorrow. I'll use a Derale adjustable fan controller to trigger the relay on at 195 degrees (180 degree thermostat installed) or when the A/C is on.

We'll see how she fits...

MattB