Re: Re: Tranny fluid capacity - reprise

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Mon Jun 08 2009 - 13:46:20 EDT

Tom Coulter <metalshop@optonline.net> wrote:
> Jon mentioned "doing a standard refill and filter change" On the matter of
> a "filter", I see no canister (as I do on, say, the 2001 Saturn LS),
> therefore no way to change. Maybe it has an "internal" filter?

   Yep, the filter is flat, and hangs under the transmission, you need
to remove the pan to get to the filter. It looks something like this:

http://www.transmissioncenter.org/IMG_0583.JPG

> As for draining the fluid, I'm wondering, pray tell, where the drain plug
> is. I see toward the back of the tranny (driver's side) what looks like a
> "plug", but is has a small wiring harness attached to it.

> The square pan seems to have NO plug on it.

   That's correct - there is no plug. In order to drain the fluid,
you just remove the pan. It can get messy if you're not careful,
which is why adding a transmission drain plug is a fairly popular
modification. You can buy a drain plug kit for about $10 or
thereabouts; you just need to drill a hole in the pan and install the
plug kit. (You can also buy a new trans pan with a plug already
installed. Be aware that a new pan might be deeper, which will
increase your transmission fluid capacity.)

    Without a drain plug, you basically need to remove all of the
bolts except for one or two at the front and back, which you leave
tight. Then, loosen up the bolts and allow the pan to tilt, which
will cause the fluid to start draining out into your catch pan. Once
the flow stops you can carefully remove the bolts (the pan still has a
lot of fluid in it), lower the pan then dump it out.

--
                                          -Jon-