Re: Taurus Fan Update

From: Matt Beazer (teseract@moparhowto.com)
Date: Sat Jun 20 2009 - 15:48:15 EDT

Yeah, I figured on the inrush current, which is one reason why I went for
the 80 amp breaker, now I'm told that was a mistake. I based my wiring
choice on other people's info (10 gauge gets hot, 8 doesn't) and on this
site's chart listing for chassis wiring:

http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

For chassis wiring, it shows 73 amps being the max, 24 for "power
transmission" (which I assume means house wiring, etc). The stock wiring
looks to be 8 gauge as well.

Most people use 14awg fuse links rather than a fuse or breaker and I HATE
HATE HATE fuse links (bad previous experience). They use them because
they're "slow to blow" so they don't pop under the startup current spike.

All I want is something resettable that won't pop under the fraction of a
second of current inrush. I was hoping having a higher rated thermal
breaker would reduce the risk of resetting under the inrush current and
still keep a loose wire from doing any accidental welding on the frame. ;)

I bought the diodes since an article said you needed one for when the fan
was free-wheeling in air coming in the grill, turning the fan into a
generator, since the reverse current would reduce the life of the relay.
If I don't need to splice it in I'm happy with that.

As for the fan measurements, I've not test-fitted it yet. I'm not
concerned if there's a couple inches of gap around it, the shroud will
still be effective for cooling the majority of the radiator, and the
shroud is way bigger than that of the typical shroud on say, a black
magic fan which is little more than a ring of plastic around the blades.
3rd gen Dakota owners don't have 100% coverage and they find it cools
better than the stock fan setup.

MattB