1987 Dakota VIN - "R" vehicle line?

From: Jon (jon@dakota-truck.net)
Date: Sat Jun 20 2009 - 17:35:48 EDT

   I received an e-mail from someone with a 1987 Dakota Express. He sent
me a photo of his VIN and the 5th digit is an "R". On the Dakota, the
5th digit is the vehicle line and is usually used to show whether it
is a 4x2 (L) or 4x4 (G). (I think later years went to E and W...)

   Anyway, his is an R, and I'm trying to figure out why. Does anyone
have a 1987 Dakota Factory Service manual? If so, could you please
check the introduction section, usually around page 2 or so there is a
breakdown of the VIN. Does "R" appear in there? Or, if anyone has
access to Chrysler's computer records, what would "R" mean for the
vehicle line of a 1987 Dakota?

   His VIN goes like this: 1B7GR14M0HSxxxxxx

   Thanks!!

--
                                          -Jon-