Re: removing upper shock nut on 99 Dak 2wd

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Mon Jul 13 2009 - 04:10:26 EDT

   What I have done in the past is to use a pipe wrench on the body or
rod of the shock. When removing the old shock, it doesn't matter if
it gets chewed up. When installing the new shock, I used a shop towel
to it from the teeth of the pipe wrench. A beefy strap wrench might
be able to be used in place of the pipe wrench, though I've never
tried that.

  Another possibility, if you have the room, is to use a couple of
short lengths of scrap steel, perhaps 1/8" thick and 3-4" long (or
whatever fits). Put one on either side against the flats and hold 'em
there with two pairs of vise grips - one on each side of the stud.
That might give you something to hold the stud in place while you use
an open end wrench on the nut.

--
                                          -Jon-