Re: Distributor

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Wed Jul 15 2009 - 13:23:36 EDT

"Tom Byrne" <kerib@ptd.net> wrote:

> I am having Megasquirt develop a programmable fuel and ignition system for
> my Shelby Dak.The guys at Megasquirt need some info about my distributor and
> I am unable to get to my truck due to work until this weekend so I am hoping
> that someone here can help.

> Megasquirt states:

> "The information I have on your truck indicates that it has a different
> design with a 3 wire Hall effect pickup. I would like you to double
> check that this one has an eight tooth wheel inside it. I've confirmed
> by part numbers that this is not the same distributor used on early '80s
> versions of the 318, and I've heard conflicting information about what
> is inside it.

> There should be a wheel on the distributor shaft located under the
> rotor. On Lean Burn / ESA distributors, this wheel looks almost like a
> gear except the teeth are too small to actually work as a gear. Hall
> effect distributors often have something that looks more like an upside
> down Mason jar lid with holes cut in the side of the lid.
> Does the wheel have eight teeth or four?"

   I don't know if this will be of any use to you now (I was out of
town at Carlisle thurs-sat), but according to my 1989 FSM, the
distributor uses a hall effect sensor and the shutter has one blade
per cylinder. On my V6 this means 6 teeth, so I assume that the V8
will have 8.

   As an aside, I thought that Megasquirt was basically a DIY deal -
have they changed such that they are now able to custom design a
system, or is this a third party who is using a Megasquirt system?

   I have been meaning to try out Megasquirt for a few years now. I
have a few vehicles which would be good candidates. But, lack of time
has prevented me so far. I'll be interested to hear about your
experiences.

--
                                          -Jon-