Re: Memories Etched In Blacktop

From: Andy Levy (andy.levy@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jul 15 2009 - 15:00:14 EDT

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 14:47, <jon@dakota-truck.net> wrote:

>    Something that came to mind was if the meet was held somewhere
> close to Chryslers@Carlisle, that could be included.  For example, the
> meet might start the week of Carlisle, and the show at the end of the
> week would cap it off.  Might be an incentive for those folks who
> haven't had a chance to get to see the Carlisle show but weren't able
> to justify going just for that.  I think there are other things to do
> in the area, depending on the kind of meet people want - the Hershey
> factory is right there and so is Gettysburg.  Not sure about
> offroading though.  (I think Paragon is about 100 miles away, but I
> believe they got shut down?)  Anyway, I don't know if that is a good
> idea or not, but having just come back from Carlisle, I thought I'd
> throw it out there as a possibility.

Paragon is still closed according to their website. They're looking
for land (in all the wrong places?).

In addition to Hershey & Gettysburg, Carlisle is close enough to make
a visit to DC & Baltimore viable for people coming from some
directions as part of their trip. Same with Pittsburgh & Philly. I
don't think you'd want to do daytrips for most of those, but coming
from the south, you could hit DC for a night or 2 on the way up or
back home for example.

>    Or maybe something in the Adirondacks?  Might be cool to rent a
> large cabin (or cabins) on a lake or something.  I've never been out
> there though so I don't know what other activities might be available.

There's very limited 4-wheeling in the Adirondacks. Best bet would be
to find out where they did Camp Jeep a few years ago, I think it was
near Lake Placid. If you're really thinking about the Adirondacks, it
may be best to write up a list of what you want to do, then see if
there's any available in/near the park. There's rafting in the SE, W,
NE and N areas of the park - but by mid-summer, the flow is way, way
down (unless it's a really rainy summer, like this year). Obviously
lots of hiking, canoeing & kayaking everywhere. Don't forget that
there is no "quick" way to anyplace within the park from any other
random place in the park; almost exclusively 2-lane roads and not a
lot of high-speed areas.