Re: Memories Etched In Blacktop

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Wed Jul 15 2009 - 16:34:55 EDT

Andy Levy <andy.levy@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 14:47, <jon@dakota-truck.net> wrote:
>>    Something that came to mind was if the meet was held somewhere
>> close to Chryslers@Carlisle, that could be included.  For example, the
>> meet might start the week of Carlisle, and the show at the end of the
>> week would cap it off.  Might be an incentive for those folks who
>> haven't had a chance to get to see the Carlisle show but weren't able
>> to justify going just for that.  I think there are other things to do
>> in the area, depending on the kind of meet people want - the Hershey
>> factory is right there and so is Gettysburg.  Not sure about
>> offroading though.  (I think Paragon is about 100 miles away, but I
>> believe they got shut down?)  Anyway, I don't know if that is a good
>> idea or not, but having just come back from Carlisle, I thought I'd
>> throw it out there as a possibility.

> Paragon is still closed according to their website. They're looking
> for land (in all the wrong places?).

  Thanks!

> In addition to Hershey & Gettysburg, Carlisle is close enough to make
> a visit to DC & Baltimore viable for people coming from some
> directions as part of their trip. Same with Pittsburgh & Philly. I
> don't think you'd want to do daytrips for most of those, but coming
> from the south, you could hit DC for a night or 2 on the way up or
> back home for example.

   True. Personally, if I had to go through DC, I'd be tempted to
lock the doors, raise the windows, plug my nose and keep the pedal on
the floor until I was through the city, but others may have differing
opinions. ;-)

>>    Or maybe something in the Adirondacks?  Might be cool to rent a
>> large cabin (or cabins) on a lake or something.  I've never been out
>> there though so I don't know what other activities might be available.

> There's very limited 4-wheeling in the Adirondacks. Best bet would be
> to find out where they did Camp Jeep a few years ago, I think it was
> near Lake Placid.

   I had a feeling that might be the case. The Adirondacks are
probably a lot more "granola" than the BLM lands out west. I found
this site which seems to say there are some areas in the Moose River
area: http://tinyurl.com/nh2aqr but, there's not much info there and
I suspect the "offroad" trails may be basically dirt roads kinda like
the "main" roads out in Colorado during the national meet. Still, I
guess it depends on what kind of meet folks would like to have.

> If you're really thinking about the Adirondacks, it
> may be best to write up a list of what you want to do, then see if
> there's any available in/near the park. There's rafting in the SE, W,
> NE and N areas of the park - but by mid-summer, the flow is way, way
> down (unless it's a really rainy summer, like this year). Obviously
> lots of hiking, canoeing & kayaking everywhere.

   Looks like there is plenty of geocaching to be had as well.

> Don't forget that
> there is no "quick" way to anyplace within the park from any other
> random place in the park; almost exclusively 2-lane roads and not a
> lot of high-speed areas.

    Sure there is... we all line up behind Mike, he plugs the
destination into his GPS and we proceed as the crow flies. ;-)

--
                                          -Jon-