RE: Transmission kick down linkage issues

From: Ray Block (BPracing@wowway.com)
Date: Fri Jul 17 2009 - 00:17:05 EDT

First...to answer Tom's question, at idle/closed throttle, the kickdown
lever on the trans should be in it's normal returned position, usually aided
by a spring on the lever.

> The FSM may have a detailed procedure for this, but generally
> speaking, it is my understanding that a kickdown lever/cable should be
> adjusted such that the kickdown lever on the trans is fully engaged at
> the exact point where the throttle butterflies are at WOT. (If the
> kickdown is adjusted to come in any sooner than that, the kickdown
> will stop before WOT and may prevent the butterflies from fully
> opening. Any later than that, and the trans will never see full
> kickdown.

You are basically correct on the WOT settings, Jon! The kickdown lever
will be in the full rearward position at WOT. If it gets there before WOT
the throttle may not open fully, plus you would get fairly high rpm part
throttle shifts and perhaps harsh low speed downshifts.

I adjust mine by blocking the throttle wide open, then adjusting the TV
(kickdown) cable until the lever on the trans just barely touches it's WOT
stop.

> The issue with the kickdown preventing WOT may or may not apply on
> a cable operated kickdown.

It does. Ask me how I know. lol

My only reference point for trans kickdown
> is the older style kickdown which used a solid lever.

The cable on late model trucks functions essentially the same...at least the
"RH" trans. Have no personal experience with the "RE" versions.

Ray