Re: Transmission kick down linkage issues

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Thu Jul 16 2009 - 23:59:44 EDT

Terrible Tom <silvereightynine@aol.com> wrote:

> Ok - I need some edyewkayshun here.

> My understanding is that the trans kickdown lever should move in tandem with the throttle
> linkage. Trying to figure out where everything should be in relation to eachother Question.
> should the starting points be:

> Engine throttle @ closed

> Kickdown lever on trans @ normal returned position

> ???

> Or should the throttle be different from the trans - say at 10% throttle and the kickdown lever
> at normal resting position?

   The FSM may have a detailed procedure for this, but generally
speaking, it is my understanding that a kickdown lever/cable should be
adjusted such that the kickdown lever on the trans is fully engaged at
the exact point where the throttle butterflies are at WOT. (If the
kickdown is adjusted to come in any sooner than that, the kickdown
will stop before WOT and may prevent the butterflies from fully
opening. Any later than that, and the trans will never see full
kickdown.

   The issue with the kickdown preventing WOT may or may not apply on
a cable operated kickdown. My only reference point for trans kickdown
is the older style kickdown which used a solid lever.

--
                                          -Jon-