Re: Sorta O/T: Trying to buy a new truck rant

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Fri Jul 24 2009 - 15:56:56 EDT

On Jun 21, 2009, at 15:04 , Eric wrote:

> For you guys that do a lot of off
> roading, is it possible to keep the truck looking great?
>
> I've just done a little "off roading" on the way to remote
> campsites and i have scratches from the bushes. They could
> probably be buffed out, i just don't do anything about it.

There are a lot of show-quality trucks that hit the mud pits and the
dunes. It's all in where you go and how you treat it when you get
there.

If you stay out of the woods and stay out of the brush in deserts you
can keep your wheeling rig looking showroom new. If you're going to
be wheeling through tight woods or big rocks you'll eventually get
dents. If you'll be driving through brush and brambles, you will get
scratches. A very good thick coat of wax can help out substantially
with the scratches but something deep will show up eventually.

And to the OP who doesn't want a 4x4 in southern ON, I really think
you're nuts. :-)
It's a regional thing, most in this area who are going to bother to
have a truck want to use it in the winter without getting stuck in a
parking spot when you park on ice and come in off the highway with hot
tires that melt in, and have the snowplow come by....

Mike