Re: Got some new wheels/tires

From: Barry Oliver (barrysuperhawk@comcast.net)
Date: Sat Jul 25 2009 - 16:14:09 EDT

Matt Beazer wrote:

> Bought some new tires and rims for my 1995 Dakota 4x4. Got them off a
> guy who sold his '92 Dakota soon after buying them, and bought a 2004
> Dakota thinking they'd fit. Of course by 2004 they had 12" discs on the
> front so 15" rims wouldn't fit:
>
> http://www.moparhowto.com/pictures/1995-Dakota/tiresrims/tires01.jpg
> http://www.moparhowto.com/pictures/1995-Dakota/tiresrims/tires02.jpg
> http://www.moparhowto.com/pictures/1995-Dakota/tiresrims/tires03.jpg
> http://www.moparhowto.com/pictures/1995-Dakota/tiresrims/tires04.jpg
>
> Not bad for $450 considering they only have 100 miles on them and still
> have the rubber nubs and colored writing on them. He originally offered
> $300 when I ran into him in a local Dodge dealership parking lot, then
> had offers off Craigslist for $600, but we worked it down to $450.
> The wheels alone are $120 each new with center caps (Eagle Alloys), and
> the tires are running $135-$140 each online, so I don't think I did too
> bad. I'm thinking of buying a tire grooving/siping knife and siping the
> inside tread blocks to give it more bite on water and ice, though
> considering they're M/T tires.
>
> On a side note, does anyone know if a 30x9.5x15" tire/rim will fit in
> the spare tire location on a 2nd gen Dakota?
>
> Thanks,
>
> MattB

Good job, soundsand looks like a good deal. You do NOT, however want to
sipe these, well, if you want any kind of mileage out of them. I had a
set of pro-comps that were siped on the inside tread blocks and they
wore down so fast I thought they were disappering. Personally I run
Mud's part of the year, and a real street tread on other rims part of
the time. Mud's aren't as bad in the winter as you may have been lead
to believe.