Re: Got some new wheels/tires

From: Matt Beazer (teseract@moparhowto.com)
Date: Sat Jul 25 2009 - 19:52:48 EDT

I'm mostly concerned about ice traction. This area goes through a lot
of freeze-thaw cycles and they don't salt. You drive in to work on wet
roads and drive home on glare ice in many cases. I wasn't planning on
taking them to a shop... I've seen articles online about buying a "hot
knife" (example: http://www.pitstopusa.com/detail.aspx?ID=11185) and
manually siping them no closer than 1/2" from the edge of the blocks and
1/4" apart. I might play with grooving too just for kicks. As long as
they last me until next summer I'm happy, I don't expect much from M/T
tires other than a chance to dink around. If I'd paid a grand just for
the tires like I would have with some BFG M/T tires I don't think I'd be
so reckless. ;)

Also keep in mind that the Hankooks are probably harder than Procomps.
I know people complain that Swampers only last 20k while BFG M/Ts will
last 40-60k, and from what reviews I've read the Hankook M/T tires have
"better than average" tread life. Of course with the Magnum V8, tread
wear depends a lot on how much you put your foot into it. ;)

Of course compared to what who knows! If I get 20k I'd be happy
considering I'm used to Z rated summer rubber and "good" to me is
lasting 3 summers. 20k after all is 3,333 daily trips to and from work
for me, and considering I only work 16 days a month, that means that if
I only drove to and from work they'd like for 17.36 years before
replacement. But as I do have something resembling a life, but I still
don't put more than 7k a year on my vehicles unless my wife is driving them.

But first I have to install the new tie rods/idler arm/pitman arm and
have it aligned otherwise these WILL wear very very quickly...

MattB