Re: ball joint service kit?

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Wed Jul 29 2009 - 14:51:35 EDT

On Jul 28, 2009, at 19:43 , jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:

> Granted, I'm sure the U-joints in my wimpy '47 are a
> lot smaller than those in your Dak, but are you guys breaking these
> kits on U-joints????

They can be REALLY stubborn sometimes. The worst are the ones that
have been in forever, and have a nice patina of rust between the cap
and the yoke. Last time I broke an axle in the Dakota I swapped it at
a friend's shop, he's got the smallest HF stand-up press, I think it's
a 12 ton? I broke the inner, so I was reusing the stub. The joint
was bad too (I'd let it run dry) but I wanted to save it for a trail
spare so I had to press both sides out. That joint had only been in
there since I swapped the 60 into the front, so about 2 years, and one
of the crosses nearly stalled the press, and I had to tap (smack) the
yoke with a hammer to get it to let loose. Quite a 'boom'

Mike