Re: ball joint service kit?

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri Jul 31 2009 - 16:14:15 EDT

Michael Maskalans <dml@tepidcola.com> wrote:

> On Jul 28, 2009, at 19:43 , jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:

>> Granted, I'm sure the U-joints in my wimpy '47 are a
>> lot smaller than those in your Dak, but are you guys breaking these
>> kits on U-joints????

> They can be REALLY stubborn sometimes. The worst are the ones that
> have been in forever, and have a nice patina of rust between the cap
> and the yoke. Last time I broke an axle in the Dakota I swapped it at
> a friend's shop, he's got the smallest HF stand-up press, I think it's
> a 12 ton? I broke the inner, so I was reusing the stub. The joint
> was bad too (I'd let it run dry) but I wanted to save it for a trail
> spare so I had to press both sides out. That joint had only been in
> there since I swapped the 60 into the front, so about 2 years, and one
> of the crosses nearly stalled the press, and I had to tap (smack) the
> yoke with a hammer to get it to let loose. Quite a 'boom'

   Ah. I've only changed U-joints the one time, and they were pretty
small, so I guess I've just been lucky so far. Probably all of the
tranny and transfer case fluid that had been leaking down the
driveshaft over the years kept them well lubed. ;-)

   What do you think about smearing a layer of anti-sieze on them
during assembly? Would it help? Good/bad idea?

--
                                          -Jon-