Re: $#@$#@ rear diff

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Fri Jul 31 2009 - 09:53:53 EDT

On Jul 31, 2009, at 02:01 , Matt Beazer wrote:

> So, after a couple months after changing the fluid, the truck has
> decided it wants it's rear diff fluid changed again and is leaking
> all over the ground to get it's way. I just spent a lovely 20
> minutes laying in decaying cherries and ants in the dirt pumping my
> diff full again (thank god for the Amsoil hand pump) Thankfully it
> was only a quarter of a quart low.
> Does anyone have any experience with rubber gaskets? These look to
> be ok and if I don't have to wait 24 hours for the RTV to cure
> completely before I risk filling the diff the $10 more than a tube
> of RTV would be worth it:
>
> http://www.ok4wd.com/index.php/catalog/product/lubelocker_differential_gaskets/

The LubeLocker will probably work well on a street driven truck. They
are not picky about the sealing surfaces being dry, which is nice.
They won't seal if the surfaces are not pretty close to perfectly true
though so with a stock stamped steel cover, offroading with one where
you might drag your diff it's probably not a good idea.

I always use The Right Stuff. No waiting for cure, bolt it on and
fill it up. Never leaks until I really try to peel the cover. I
should probably start using a gasket with Right Stuff, then the minor
hits and drags would be less likely to make it spring a leak.

Mike