Re: RE: $#@$#@ rear diff

From: Matt Beazer (teseract@moparhowto.com)
Date: Sun Aug 02 2009 - 00:25:14 EDT

Eh, it was two things, one I didn't use enough RTV (I'm paranoid about
using too much due to past experience) and I didn't follow the bead
pattern in the FSM. It's leaking out the bottom out one of the bolt
holes I think. If I don't see the gasket in time for my next day off on
Thursday, I'll probably use a thicker bead of orange RTV and follow the
FSM to lay the bead this time.

The oil was drained until it stopped dripping, then the gasket surfaces
were cleaned using a 3M bristle cleaning disk like Chrysler recommends
for doing MLS head gaskets, then cleaned with brake cleaner. Black RTV
was used and allowed to set for 24 hours before the pumpkin was filled.

It's mostly bad luck. It's the only kind I've gotten in the last 18
months or so. I have 3 vehicles, one is down with serious brake problems
and one was destroyed in a car accident that has my wife using a walker
with a shattered right foot and won't be able to walk on it until
October. Not to mention over $100,000 in medical bills on top of the
wrecked car.

As the saying goes, if I didn't have bad luck, I'd have no luck at all. ;)

MattB