Re: RE: $#@$#@ rear diff

From: Matt Beazer (teseract@moparhowto.com)
Date: Sun Aug 02 2009 - 05:48:31 EDT

I shot a little brake cleaner in the pumpkin only and let it evaporate
really well before putting the cover on.

I'm worried though, the ratcheting noise from the truck seems to be
pretty loud going around tight corners... I can't tell if it's the front
or rear though since I have no one to drive it while I walk alongside
and listen for the noise. I'm hoping it's just the rear diff clutches
in the suregrip making noise from there not being enough limited slip
conditioner in it. It's definitely a ratcheting noise, though, kind of
like the sound of the safety latch in the teeth of a lift. The Amsoil
bottle said it didn't need any additional additive; this time I ordered
some limited slip additive to put in there too.

Either that or it's my CV joints in the front end, but the boots are
intact, and I'd be surprised if they're worn out by 134k. I don't think
it's the wheel bearings because it doesn't seem to be load dependent,
it's just steering angle dependent at slow speeds.

I HATE not knowing what a noise is! For all I know the rear end is
about to detonate, but it's smooth in a straight line... knowing my luck
it'll spit it's guts all over the ground tomorrow!

MattB