Re: Christine is off the road indefinitely.

From: Terrible Tom (silvereightynine@aol.com)
Date: Tue Aug 04 2009 - 22:10:22 EDT

Jason Bleazard wrote:

> Tom, I was sorry to hear about the troubles with Christine. I can only
> imagine how frustrating it was to find that right after you finally got
> the engine running right.

Yeah - no kidding. I went from estatic to depression in the same week. When I started taking
the suspension apart again, I realized just how rotted it was starting to get. I don't trust
metal so thin that I can hammer through it.

> If you're thinking of a new truck, there's always the cash for clunkers
> program, don't know how you feel about that. They do require that the
> "clunker" must be in driveable condition.

They also require proof of insurance for a full year prior to the trade in. Christine has not
had insurance on her since 2003.

> If you're looking for parts, it's definitely a good idea to keep an eye on
> the junkyards. Apparently there's something like a quarter of a million
> traded-in "clunkers" in the pipeline waiting to be processed. The engine
> and transmission have to be destroyed, but I think everything else is fair
> game. There's going to be a lot of vehicles being stripped for any useful
> parts. Do you know anyone at any of your local yards? I'm not sure how
> you'd go about setting up a search to watch for any Dakotas going through
> so you can get to them before they wind up in the crusher.
>
> The gov't allocated what they thought would be enough money to keep their
> program running until October. That was gone in the first six days, and
> they're scrambling to come up with more.

  mmmm very good ideas about the salvage yards. I'm already started putting the word out.
I've been in touch with a steel scrap yard, and a few other people locally who are in the
junker business. I'll start calling the auto salvage yards tomorrow.

Thanks Jason!

"Man is the only kind of varmint [who] sets his own trap, baits it, then steps in it"
-John Steinbeck