Re: Gen 3 Blower problems

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri Aug 07 2009 - 20:19:26 EDT

"Zito, James A (GE Infra, Energy)" <james.zito@ge.com> wrote:

> Ok the pigtail got corroded and then melted and likely cooked 2 blower
> resistor modules on me. Currently have cut pig tail and have hotwired
> as single speed (high) fan. Priced new pigtail from stealership at
> aboot $80. Current plan is to make my own with bits from Radio Shit or
> similar.

> The Question is what should the resistance values be? I assume the 3
> resistors are all the same value just don't know what that would be.

Jim,

  I have an '00 FSM here and would be glad to forward a pinout of the
blower resistor block and electrical schematic if you need it.
Unfortunately, Dodge considers the blower motor resistor to be "no
user-serviceable parts inside / replace if broken" which we all know
is a crock. As such, they do not list the resistor values. I was
hoping there would be a diagnostic/troubleshooting section which would
inadvertently list the resistor values, but the extent of the
troubleshooting info given is only to check for continuity and
"replace if broken".

  Its very simple in operation though, as you mentioned, all that is
needed are the resistor values. It looks as though there are 3
resistors in the block. With the switch on high, there is a direct
connection to the blower motor relay (pin 87). Down one notch (medium
2), it goes through 1 resistor, down another notch (medium 1), it goes
through 2 resistors, and on low, it goes through all 3 resistors.
Note that there is actually a fourth resistor in the blower resistor
block. This connects to pin 87A on the blower motor relay, basically
causing there to be two ground paths back to the blower motor, and the
blower motor relay switches between the two. When A/C is in use, the
blower motor relay selects the path on pin 87, such that when the fan
switch on high is a direct path to ground. However, when the A/C is
not on (heat/vent only), it selects pin 87A, which causes the ground
path to go through that fourth resistor, even if the fan is on high.
The result of this is that the fan speed is slower in vent/heat modes
than when the A/C is on because the ground path runs through one extra
resistor, no matter what the setting of the fan speed knob.

  Do you have a pot or even just some spare resistors laying around?
If so, I'd just use them until you find a resistance value which gives
you the low speed you want, then divide that by three and get three
resistors with that value.

  Anyway, like I said, let me know if you want the diagrams, pinouts
and such. They have wire colors too, I don't know if they will be the
same as on your Dak, but even if not the pinout would be enough for
you to tell which wire is which.

--
                                          -Jon-