RE: Really Goddam Depressing

From: Ray Block (BPracing@wowway.com)
Date: Mon Aug 10 2009 - 19:48:05 EDT

<snip>
> Does anyone know what happens to these vehicles after the engine is
> destroyed? The gov't isn't buying them, right? They only care that
> the engine has been destroyed? I have heard that its OK to use them
> for parts and such. Does the dealership still own the vehicle
> afterward, and if so, what are they doing with them? Here is where
> I'm going with this... Is there anything to stop someone from buying
> this vehicle and dropping a new engine in it? Or does the VIN
> basically get banished to never-never land?
>

> ---Jon-

In the local newspaper it was stated there's much competition among salvage
yards to gain the dealership's favor in taking the "clunker" off their
hands. Some of the smaller yards are crying foul because the larger ones
are offering more money than they (the smaller yards) can afford. A truck
like the convert Dak, even without an engine, could bring some decent coin
to a salvage yard.

It was also noted that some yards are overwhelmed with the "new" arrivals
and are speeding up the process of crushing the less valuable cars. The
suggestion was made to get to the yards quickly if you need parts from less
popular models.

Ray