RE: DML HQ gets hammered

From: Mr. Plow (adam_is_mr_plow@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Aug 10 2009 - 22:27:37 EDT

That is absolutely crazy!
As soon as I started reading your post, I immediately thought of that "bank" area of the trail that we use to access the creek, and get us to the lower falls. After the water level subsides, I wonder if the trail will now just drop straight down to the lower level of the creek???
It has been getting noticeably worse over the last couple of years...

We were in Kingston, ON last night, left this morning and drove to Windsor and Jackie spoke with her family out in Edmonton and they asked her how close we were to the tornado.
Apparently it was all over the news, but we just drove through some thunderstorms around Toronto region about noon and didn't think it was all that bad. :)

The Adam Blaster
Two words, figure it out.....

> Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 18:08:23 -0400
> From: jon@dakota-truck.net
> To: dml@dakota-truck.net
> Subject: DML: DML HQ gets hammered
>

> Everyone has probably noticed by now that the list is back online -
> sorry for the inconvenience!
>
> We had some monster storms roll through here last night, there is
> massive flood damage to the entire area. At the end of King Rd near
> the general store, there is a tiny creek which is actually dry most of
> the year, but it was well over the road surface last night, ate away
> part of the road, slammed some big trees into it and took down a
> nearby telephone pole. Near the other end of the road, a creek
> crosses the road - this is the same creek which empties into the
> ravine at the lower falls, so most BBQers are familiar with its size.
> At the point where it crosses the road, it is about 4 feet wide and a
> few inches deep. Last night, it was easily 50' wide and 4 feet above
> the road surface. There was a 3' standing wave above that, where it
> came over the road. It was really moving too - the water flow was
> probably 50mph or so. I haven't been down to the woods yet to see
> what it looks like but my Dad has and he said that where we drive down
> to get to the ravine on the way to the lower falls, where that 3' bank
> drops down into the creek (which has been eroding away), the water was
> about 2' above that, there is apparently silt covering the entire
> area. A few miles downstream, there is a mobile home park on the bank
> - well, I should probably say there WAS a mobile home park there
> because the river picked them up off their foundations and played a
> rather expensive game of pick-up-sticks with them.
>
> This flooding is probably nothing compared with what has happened
> in the midwest, but sure is a reminder of how powerful water can be!
>
> Fortunately no real damage that I know of here at DML HQ - we are
> on relatively high ground. I'm sure there's lots of topography change
> on the trails and especially at the creek though. Currently the water
> is too high to even get to the lower falls, but it may drop in the
> next few days if it will EVER STOP RAINING! :-)
>

> --
> -Jon-
>
> .- Jon Steiger -- jon@dakota-truck.net or jon@jonsteiger.com -.
> | '96 Kolb Firefly, '96 Suzuki Intruder, Miscellaneous Mopars |

Windows Live™: Keep your life in sync.
http://windowslive.com/explore?ocid=PID23384::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:NF_BR_sync:082009