DML HQ gets hammered

From: Jon (jon@dakota-truck.net)
Date: Mon Aug 10 2009 - 18:08:23 EDT

   Everyone has probably noticed by now that the list is back online -
sorry for the inconvenience!

   We had some monster storms roll through here last night, there is
massive flood damage to the entire area. At the end of King Rd near
the general store, there is a tiny creek which is actually dry most of
the year, but it was well over the road surface last night, ate away
part of the road, slammed some big trees into it and took down a
nearby telephone pole. Near the other end of the road, a creek
crosses the road - this is the same creek which empties into the
ravine at the lower falls, so most BBQers are familiar with its size.
At the point where it crosses the road, it is about 4 feet wide and a
few inches deep. Last night, it was easily 50' wide and 4 feet above
the road surface. There was a 3' standing wave above that, where it
came over the road. It was really moving too - the water flow was
probably 50mph or so. I haven't been down to the woods yet to see
what it looks like but my Dad has and he said that where we drive down
to get to the ravine on the way to the lower falls, where that 3' bank
drops down into the creek (which has been eroding away), the water was
about 2' above that, there is apparently silt covering the entire
area. A few miles downstream, there is a mobile home park on the bank
- well, I should probably say there WAS a mobile home park there
because the river picked them up off their foundations and played a
rather expensive game of pick-up-sticks with them.

   This flooding is probably nothing compared with what has happened
in the midwest, but sure is a reminder of how powerful water can be!

   Fortunately no real damage that I know of here at DML HQ - we are
on relatively high ground. I'm sure there's lots of topography change
on the trails and especially at the creek though. Currently the water
is too high to even get to the lower falls, but it may drop in the
next few days if it will EVER STOP RAINING! :-)

--
                                          -Jon-