Re: cv joint from axel shaft

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Tue Aug 11 2009 - 12:57:22 EDT

On Aug 11, 2009, at 12:40 , ffastje wrote:

> The factory manual says to use two pry bars against the diff
> houseing to remove the cv from the axel shaft. Do i have to remove
> the the bolts from the flange to remove the cv. The dam cv keeps
> spinning when i try to remove the bolts and it pissing me off!!!
> :-[

If yours is the (my term:) "normal" kind with the flange with 6 bolts
at the flange hanging off the center section, yes those bolts need to
be pulled. you can probably jam it with a wrench on one of the bolts
while breaking others free. I'd use a pipe wrench on the axle shaft
as a last resort. You did break the hub nut free while the tire was
still on the ground, right? if you don't have air to break these free
you'll never get that off without the tire holding it. You're looking
at at least 200 pound feet to break that mother free. I think torque
spec is 165 ft-lbs.

Mike